Welcome Grantsville PTA Members
Thank you for volunteering to be a member of the Grantsville PTA. It looks like this year is going to be a good year with all of the fantastic members we have.
Blogging is something new that we are trying this year to better our communication. Please list your thoughts, ideas and comments.
Thank you again and we look forward to getting to know eachother and making it a successful year.
Blogging is something new that we are trying this year to better our communication. Please list your thoughts, ideas and comments.
Thank you again and we look forward to getting to know eachother and making it a successful year.
More updates and information coming soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I think those numbers are good. I'm sure they will put the money to good use.
Kacey H. brings up an interesting point about equality among grades. The first grade teachers have already asked for $1,309.00 for their field trip to the zoo. I think that's a great activity but I don't think we can give every grade that much money. She did say they may have another way to pay for part of the field trip. Still, I was imagining the grants would be HALF the amount she requested. So the question I have for you guys is; is it OK to grant different amounts to the different grades?
As for the fifth grade grant, personally I felt justified in proposing we reduce the grants to the other grades because the freedom gallery would be in the hall where students from other grades would benefit from it as well. However I do really like the idea of a corporate sponsor and am OK with doing a fifth-grade fund-raiser. I'm also OK with saving up and doing it another year. I just worry that a future board might not follow through. Whatever the case I agree that we should wait for the teachers input to make a final decision.
I think it is fair to give each grade a different amount. If they have something SPECIFIC that they need the money for. BUT if we did different amounts, we would have to be careful that it doesn't become "expected" that PTA will just give the money. It's a gift. I really don't know much about all this since this is my first year being involved!
Personally, I don't like the idea of handing out blank checks. We are accountable for the PTA funds and we should take that responsibility seriously. We need to make sure the money is spent how we want it spent.
I know our time is short, but it would be nice to know what each grade is planning to spend the money on. We can't give everyone as much as first grade wants. I would suggest a fixed amount for each grade - $750-1000 but try to move towards a better accounting of the funds.
If the library or principal has a specific project or volume of books they would like, it would be nice if they could come to us and make a proposal and then we decide as a board. We could budget for the principal and library, but I would hesitate to release the funds without approving specific projects.
KennaRae
Here is Mr. Brunsdale's response to my e-mail regarding grant requests:
Casey,
I did send a note to teachers asking them to give some feedback on this by the end of the day. As for me, I would appreciate the use of $1000.00 to go towards assemblies (Guest Authors, Science, the Arts)this year and another $500.00 for Bully prevention / Behavior incentives. If that is okay, it would be fantastic! I can get details for you if your board okays this.
Mark
Post a Comment