Welcome Grantsville PTA Members

Thank you for volunteering to be a member of the Grantsville PTA. It looks like this year is going to be a good year with all of the fantastic members we have.

Blogging is something new that we are trying this year to better our communication. Please list your thoughts, ideas and comments.

Thank you again and we look forward to getting to know eachother and making it a successful year.

More updates and information coming soon.




Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Proposed budget

You all should have received an e-mail with the proposed budget today. I spent hours trying to come up with a budget that would please everyone (if there is such a thing) and that was the closest I came. As I mentioned, I hope to put the budget up for a vote by the general membership tonight so if you want to suggest any changes speak now or forever hold your peace. :-)

2 comments:

Casey said...

FYI: Here is some of my rational about a few different aspects...
- Freedom project - The fifth grade teachers haven't got back to me yet but the new principal, Mr Wyatt, is all for it. I budgeted $1,500 for this with three different options for using that...
1.If the teachers want the whole Roots of Freedom package (curriculum, assembly, & art) we will pay for that with their grant ($800), the principals grant ($1,500), the $1,500 we budgeted, the $1000 art grant, and, hopefully a $700 corporate sponsor.
2.If the teachers don't want the whole package we will give them and the principal their grants to use for some other PTA-approved item. We can then use the $1,500 we budgeted for this to purchase art work for a freedom gallery from somewhere different than the Roots of Freedom company.
3.We also have the option of saving the $1,500 and adding it to funds from next year's budget to complete this project.
- Brad Barton Magic Bullying-prevention assembly - There were mixed feeling on this but I think the majority, including our safety commissioner, were in favor. Likewise, I think the majority agree that, while it would be great to do this at both schools, their is a greater need at GES. I went ahead and ear-marked $600 (included in the safety commission budget) for this but hopefully we won't have to pay that much. He said he'd lower his rate if we could get another school in the valley to have an assembly the same day.
- The grants average $1,500 per principal, $800 per grade, and $400 per library. That doesn't mean they will get that exact amount. First, I agree that it needs to be for a PTA-approved activity/program. Second, the amounts for teachers are averages which means, for example, if one grade only needs $700 we could give another grade $900. We just need to make sure that we don't give out a grant that's over the average amount until we first ensure there is another grade willing to take a grant for an equal amount less than the average - make sense?

So what do you all think?

Anonymous said...

You have worked hard. It looks good to me!!